Friday, May 11, 2012

Beauty and Grace


The two words I think of when I think of my Mom – 
Beauty and Grace. 



She filled us up with beauty and a large measure of grace.

A tremendously gifted cook and baker I’ve shared my Mom's apple cake and coffee cake recipes. In honor of Mother’s Day I’m going to share her recipe for Cherries Jubilee. I remember my Mom making this for special occasions and grown up parties. Anything you set on fire at the table is bound to make a quite an impression.

Cherries Jubilee ala Florence
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
I cup cherry juice
! can dark pitted  cherries
Brandy or Bourbon (use your best judgment)
One jar currant jelly
Vanilla ice cream

Combine sugar, cornstarch and juice and cook till thickened, add cherries and jelly. Turn off the lights and flame with the Bourbon or Brandy in a chaffing dish to the ooos and ahhhhs of friends and family.

I’ve been visiting a new to me blog - "It's a Good Place To Knit"" that I discovered during blog week.  I have really enjoyed Vicki's posts. Yesterday was all about knitting bags – bags and shoes being two things I just can’t get enough of – I have to play along.  She asked people to share favorite bags. So while I recently posted about a new favorite bag here, I thought I’d share an old favorite today.



I found this vintage-knitting bag in a shop just steps away from my Mom’s apartment. It’s pink and grey/blue brocade and there are pockets on the inside.  You just can’t beat the way these wooden frame bags stand up. It’s hard to improve upon a classic.

I also want to share some photos of the “Hard Cider” yarn in all its squishy glory. The bounce of the merino and the sheen of the silk make this a very special yarn that would make a super soft and cozy cowl.





I ended up with 350 yards of 2 ply, worsted weight at 10 wraps per inch, 4 stitches to the inch on size 8 needles. 



I hope you enjoy a beautiful weekend and I’ll see you in just a couple of weeks Mom!









No comments: